How to Write a Follow Up Email


Now that you know how important it is to follow up, and how long (give or take) you should wait before sending each email, let’s go through how to write the follow-up email itself.
1. Add Context
Try to jog your recipient’s memory by opening your email with a reference to a previous email or interaction.
Openers you might want to try include:
·         I just wanted to follow up on the email I sent last [day of the week email was sent] about [subject of email].
·         I just wanted to follow up to see what you thought about [subject of email].
·         I hope this doesn’t sound weird, but I saw that you read my previous email.
2. Add Value
You should never send a follow-up without upping the ante and demonstrating your worth.
Avoid lazy follow-ups – ones where you’re simply ‘touching base’ or ‘catching up’ – that don’t add anything other than one more email in their inbox. Provide value at each interaction. Make it worth their while to open, click, and respond.
3. Explain Why You’re Emailing
Go on to explain the reason for your follow-up email, in a manner that’s both direct and concise. Just tell the recipient what you want. If this hasn’t changed since your last email, remind them.
·         [product name] could really help you [element of prospect’s role] more effectively. I’d love to have a quick chat to find out if I’m right.
·         [product name] could really help you and I wondered if you’d be interested in trying it out for a month or so (completely free, of course).
·         We’ve just launched [product name], and it could make a big difference to [element of prospect’s role]. There’s a link to a resource that will tell you more just below, but it’d be great if we could also discuss your current needs so I can figure out exactly how [product name]might help you.
4. Include a Call-to-Action
Make it easy for the recipient to respond. For example, if you’re trying to arrange a meeting, suggest a specific date and time (and place, if you’re arranging an in-person meeting).
·         Does 2:15 p.m. on Thursday work for you?
·         Are you the right person to talk to about this? If I’m in the wrong place, could you point me in the right direction?
·         Just reply ‘yes’ if you’d be interested in getting some more information and I’ll send a couple of short docs over.
5. Close Your Email
Wrap up in a way that feels natural to you and is sympathetic to your interactions with the recipient so far.
While I have a few suggestions below, this part is really quite personal – as above, wrap up however you feel comfortable.
·         Let me know what you think! [Your name]
·         Let me know if you have any questions. [Your name]
·         Speak soon? [Your name]
·         I look forward to hearing from you! [Your name]


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Best Clinic to get Coronary Artery Disease Treatment in Waco, TX

Top Reasons to Use an HTML Gmail Signature Generator for Your Business

Step-by-Step Guide to Creating a Professional Email Signature with a Generator